frontend

Support forum for minisatip
UKenGB

frontend

Post by UKenGB »

I have assumed that Tuner 0 and Tuner 1, as shown on the web stats page correspond to frontend0 and frontend1. However:-

When requesting a URL without any 'fe' parameter, Tuner 0 is used, Pos. column is empty and the URL link on the page includes 'fe=0'.

When requesting a URL including 'fe=1', Tuner 0 is again used, Pos. is 1 and the URL link correctly includes 'fe=1'.

So is Tuner simply as they're listed on that page and the Pos. column is the frontend (i.e. actual tuner hardware I assume) being used?
cata
Site Admin

Re: frontend

Post by cata »

Basically each individual frontend is an adapter that has associated a "fe" position.
If my understanding is correct, tuner and frontend is the same thing. In practice, this is not true for multisystem TBS cards.

The pos is the diseqc slot associated with that adapter
UKenGB

Post by UKenGB »

Is the disecq slot not determined by the 'src' parameter?

That aside, I also assumed Tuner == frontend, but in practice that does not seem to be how it works as specifying 'fe=1' still uses Tuner 0. I would not normally specify 'fe' in the URL so that either tuner could be selected, depending on if either are busy, but in testing, it appears that minisatip ALWAYS selects Tuner 0 first, irrespective of any 'fe' parameter in the request URL.

So either Tuner ≠ frontend or minisatip ignores any 'fe' request and simply makes its own selection (apparently first one free).

To a certain extent, it doesn't matter, but first of all, it's always good to understand how things work (easier to troubleshoot any issues), but also I want to be able to use Plex and I have read some issues with it only trying to use the first tuner and failing if it's busy rather than simply trying the next one. So understanding how this all works should help with any Plex setup.
cata
Site Admin

Post by cata »

Satip standard mandates that the first tuner (0) is fe=1.

If you have mixed tuners (dvb-c, dvb-s) this will affect the numbering.

The idea is, if fe parameter is specified then minisatip will try to honor it and fail if busy.

If no fe is specified minisatip will pick the next free.
UKenGB

Post by UKenGB »

Ah so tuners are numbered from 1? So requesting 'fe=1' should get the first tuner and the second should be accessible with 'fe=2'. Confusion of course is likely to occur since the frontends are numbered from 0.

I'll try that.
UKenGB

Post by UKenGB »

Yup, that's it. using 'fe=2' uses Tuner 1. Which in fact means it is SAT>IP spec's 'fe' that is out of sync with both the hardware frontend and also the Tuner column in minisatip (which I presume actually reports the frontend number).

So if no 'fe' is specified in the URL, minisatip reports that as 'fe=0' which kinda makes sense now I know it counts from 1.

Thanks for that.