#181: [Feature request] Threads ?

Support forum for minisatip
FuNK3Y

Post by FuNK3Y »

I am currently using minisatip on an overclocked pi 1 and it goes pretty well (2 tuners, 2 client - max 2 different streams).

For the sake of testing, I tried to move the oscam part to the raspberry. It worked OK when only 1 client was consuming an encrypted HD stream, but when the second client did connect the poor rasp couldnt handle the load.

I would be interested in testing on a rasp 2; but since minisatip is single threaded I dont expect any benefit. Decoding streams seems like tasks that could be easily parallelized and that would greatly benefit from an increased number of core.

Thanks for the good work !
catalinii

Post by catalinii »

Hi,

raspberry pi 2 is a ARMv7 which is 2 times more efficient at the same clock frequency,

Having said that, threads is on my TO DO list.
FuNK3Y

Post by FuNK3Y »

Good to know!

I did order a pi 2, I will see how it goes!
FuNK3Y

Post by FuNK3Y »

I did received it and tested, and the pi2 is definitively faster! Without encryption it works smoothly with a low CPU usage. The pi1 sometime missed frames when the 2 tuners were working at the same time and required heavy overlocking.

I will retest once the threads are in place, with the current implementation it is still impossible to have more than 1 encrypted HD.
catalinii

Post by catalinii »

Hi,

did you managed to test master? how is it working with RPI 2 ?

Thanks
FuNK3Y

Post by FuNK3Y »

Ho ! I overlooked the new support for thread.

I will test this out this evening for sure
FuNK3Y

Post by FuNK3Y »

I did test, and it works way better. I get 3-4 encrypted HD stream perfectly now!

Great work, thank you !